The Everyday Life of a Working Artist

Pages

Attention! My blog is moving to my website in early January 2016. If you are receiving daily emails about this blog you will continue to receive them after the switch. Until then, you might want to head on over to my new blog here!

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Trick or Treat?

Pin It
"Trick or Treat?"
(#3 in a series)
Oil, 8" x 8" on museum quality canvas panel.
$350.00 with display easel.
Halloween, celebrated each year on October 31, is a mix of ancient Celtic practices, Catholic  and Roman religious rituals and European folk traditions that blended together over time to create the holiday we know today. For some of us Halloween is a big deal. That includes pretty much anyone that lives in my town. 
I live in South Pasadena and because we live in a very flat area with wide, safe streets we see a lot of tick-or-treaters on Halloween. There's a street in our neighborhood that gets at least 1000 trick-or-treaters. We will probably see about 600 or so.
So, candy selection is a pretty big deal in our town. And ... I have to admit that I do buy two different types of candy. Shame on me, but I must preface that it is all GOOD candy. I buy mid-sized candy bars for the kids I don't know and 3 ft. long pixie sticks for the kids that I do know. 
I also must confess that it has always been important to me that we are known as a "good house" on Halloween. This entails decorating the outside of your house and serving "good candy". So I have the cobwebs, orange lights and the scary music playing from the balcony. One year I even put a projector in my car in front of the house and showed an old scary movie on the front of our white house.
This year I am going have a "third level" of candy/dessert. I am going to make homemade ice cream using dry ice. It's really cool, you just pour homemade ice cream mixture in to a "dry ice bowl" and add all of the stuff to the ice cream mixture that sounds yummy. Keep stirring it and within 90 seconds you have perfect ice cream! It's kind of like "Coldstones" but you start from scratch. And I have decided this "treat" will only be served to family and REALLY close friends.
So ... what are you doing for Halloween?

6 comments:

Gwen Bell said...

Love all 3 versions of this playful little package. Particularly nice job on the shiny ribbons! Great Holiday Gifts, one and all!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dreama (and Eddie) said...

Coming to your house for Halloween and ice cream--of course!

Anonymous said...

Ice cream was fun and delicious..thanks!

Leslie Saeta said...

Julie - you guys looked adorable in your pumpkin costumes. So glad you liked the ice cream. I had fun making it all night!

Marian Fortunati said...

Fun!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails