The Everyday Life of a Working Artist

Pages

Attention! My blog is moving to my website in early January 2016. If you are receiving daily emails about this blog you will continue to receive them after the switch. Until then, you might want to head on over to my new blog here!

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Flower of Love

Pin It
"The Flower of Love"
Oil, 6" x 6"
$200 unframed.

I almost named this painting "The Misunderstood flower". Carnations are lovely flowers, but they just don't get any respect. Carnations are part of the "dianthus" flower family and their name is translated to "the flower of love". One of the world's oldest cultivated flowers, the carnation is appreciated for its ruffled appearance, clove-like scent, and extended blooming period.Carnations are nice flowers but somehow they just don't get the respect they deserve.

I think I know what happened. A while ago someone decided it would be really cool if you stuck a white carnation in a glass of blue food coloring because the flower would "suck up" the dye and voila ... you could have a blue carnation. Or a green one ... or even a black one.  I have to admit, when I see a green carnation I think they look "cheap". And yucky.

So, I panted this carnation to honor the true beauty of the flower ... as it was originally intended!

3 comments:

Dean H. said...

I agree about the color! Love your "Flower Of Love".

Anonymous said...

Our new campaign....not champagne...campaign "Understanding the the Misunderstood Flower". Maybe we should re-name it so that it frees itself from the negative connotation?

Either way...great painting today.

Mary Lor said...

Love this, Leslie. As a former floral designer, I know what you mean about the carnation. Mixed bouquets with carnations are unappealing. However, I love to mass a lot of them densely together to create a great textural arrangement. I realized the potential of this flower watching the opening credits of My Fair Lady. They were as beautiful as the peonies. If they are good enough for set designer, Cecil Beaton, they are good enough for me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails