The Everyday Life of a Working Artist

Pages

Attention! My blog is moving to my website in early January 2016. If you are receiving daily emails about this blog you will continue to receive them after the switch. Until then, you might want to head on over to my new blog here!

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Waiting For a Boys Weekend

Pin It
"Waiting For a Boys Weekend"
Oil, 6" x 6" on canvas panel.
$200 unframed.

So ... if you read yesterday's post you will know that I have been accused of painting "girl" boats (all in fun, of course!). Apparently my choice of colors mostly includes reds, pinks, oranges ... you know ... "girl" colors. So I promised that today I would try to paint with "boy colors".
Ok, so I tried. The colors on my palette today were ultramarine blue, sap green, yellow, titanium white and cad red. Although there is no red in this painting, I did need to use a tad bit in the mixing (red and green makes brown ...). So, the end result is a painting with lots of brown, blue and yellow. Would you say these qualify as "boy" colors?
I will put this one out tonight and see if all of the boys in my house like it!

7 comments:

Diane Hoeptner said...

Boy colors? Girl colors?? Are you kidding?! No way, I've never heard anything so silly! But I do LOVE this shocking yellow boat, it's gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Leslie...there is a great feel to this piece! As to "gender issues"....its like painting the baby's room a "neutral" like green or yellow. I wouldn't call this full on masculine "hear me roar" man colors...but then again its not like you are in the "Pretty in Pink" zone either....all this to say...Leslie, whatever you are doing, color choices, etc...its all fabulous! KEEP UP THE PASSIONATE PAINTING!!!!

Roxanne Steed said...

hehe, I hadn't thought of them as boy or girl colors either....but LOOOOOVe the warm golden yellow in this one!! It has that sense of 'late in the day' kind of light where everything just glows 'warm'!

Mary Lor said...

Love the colors & brushstrokes on the boat, Leslie. Glad to see that "boy" colors are not boring! To me, this painting is very "Bruin".

Gwen Bell said...

Love this blue and yellow combo. Gorgeous!

julie davis said...

This yellow is gorgeous, and such a happy color, especially with that warm light on it.

FCP said...

When I saw this, my first thought was how much I love these colors together, then I read your post--that's pretty funny. Nice perspective and composition too,
Faye

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails